Labour Day in Istanbul — May 1, 2014
1. Protesters wearing gas masks hold a banner reading ‘Workers who resist win’ as they march towards Taksim Square. (Bulent Kilic/AFP/Getty Images)
2. A riot police officer gestures amidst tear gas during a May Day demonstration in Istanbul. (Murad Sezer/Reuters)
3. Protesters advance towards riot police. (Can Erok/Reuters)
4. Turkish riot policemen take position behind their shields during clashes with protesters who try to reach Taksim Square in Istanbul. (Ozan Kose/AFP/Getty Images)
5. Protesters wearing gas masks use slingshots during clashes with riot police who prevent them from reaching Taksim Square. (Bulent Kilic/AFP/Getty Images)
6. Riot police fires tear gas to push back protesters. (Murad Sezer/Reuters)
7. A Turkish protester wearing a gas mask stands amid a fog of tear gas that was fired by riot police to disperse a May Day rally. (Bulent Kilic/AFP/Getty Images)
8. A protester is hit by water from a police water cannon during a May Day demonstration. (Murad Sezer/Reuters)
May Day rallies around the world // May 1, 2013
Women protesters shout slogans calling for better working conditions for garment workers during a May Day rally on May 1, 2013 in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
[Credit : Wong Maye-E/AP]
People hold up images during a May Day march in Revolution Square in Havana, Cuba on May 1, 2013.
[Credit : Ramon Espinosa/AP]
Masked policemen take cover behind shields during clashes at a May Day demonstration in Istanbul on May 1, 2013.
[Credit : Ozan Kose/AFP/Getty Images]
A Greek presidential guard stands framed by the remains of a European Union flag burned by protesters in Athens during a demonstration on May 1, 2013.
[Credit : Petros Giannakouris/AP]
A protester gets sprayed by a water canon during a May Day march in Santiago, Chile on May 1. Clashes with security forces and riots marred the rally to mark International Labour Day.
[Credit : Luis Hidalgo/Associated Press]
Hundreds of thousands of people march through Havana’s Revolution Square during the May Day parade, May 1, 2012.
A homeless person sleeps among placards before the May Day workers march in Lisbon, Tuesday, May 1, 2012. The placards read in Portuguese: “Fear”, “Danger”, “Steps from the Abyss” and “Full of Rage”.
[Credit : Francisco Seco/AP]
Riot policemen stand guard after getting splattered by paintballs from student protesters during clashes on International Workers’ Day, or May Day, at the central square of Bogota May 1, 2012.
[Credit : Jose Miguel Gomez/Reuters]